Saturday, January 12, 2008

Buckley drawing as theme of conference


from w
I really want to attend a conference next week at Melbourne but the cost is prohibitive for me, even for a one-day ticket, so I'll just go along to their book fair on Wednesday morning before our art students reunion. The conference is a huge affair, the first south of the Equator - 32nd Congress of the International Committee of the History of Art, an Olympics of art history and the theme is Crossing Cultures; Conflict, Migration and Convergence. I want to attend the day where they focus on Australian indigenous and Pacific art but I'd better pay the phone bill instead!

The picture here is by an Aboriginal artist Tommy McCrae from 1890 of the 'white' man, William Buckley dancing in a corroboree. He lived with the Wathaurong tribe for 32 years and around Geelong there are numerous significant places that refer to him (such as Buckley's Falls) which I can post some time.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

So historically there have been "white" Australians that have lived with Aboriginal tribes? I'd like to learn more about that.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I've put together a bio of Buckley in the next post, but there are numerous legends about him locally because he lived in the Geelong region with the Wautharong tribes and this was way before much 'white' settlement had developed in the region.
It was actually a terrible time for the tribes with their population drastically reduced.
w.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home