Friday, February 02, 2007

Traipsing over the Enterprize



from w
Last weekend a lovely sailing ship was in port and local people were able to go for hour-long trips in Corio Bay or just clamber all over it beside Cunningham Pier. Peceli was in his element, asking questions about the sails, the masts, inspecting the spaces below deck. The Enterprize is a beautiful replica of a schooner (I think it is) built in the 1840s that sailed between Tasmania and Victoria - very very early days of the settlement of Melbourne.

The Enterprize is based in Melbourne next to the Polly Woodside but goes on trips where there is a special event such as Geelong's Skandia Festival. Even when docked there was a slight movement and I just wondered how my great great-great-grandparents fared coming to Australia on these small boats. My father's father was a mate on the Loch Line ships when he was quite young and my Dad passed down many stories of ghosts on ice flows and also a sighting of the Flying Dutchman.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

What a beautiful ship! I've always loved those old style sailing vessels, schooners in particular!

An Enterprise only spelt with a "z" and lacking warp nacelles...I can get into it!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brigs, Man-of-war, Schooners.

Anyway thought you might like this new movie: Amazing Grace.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Warp nacelles - er what? I guess it is something to do with ropes or something?
Amazing Grace - is this about Wilberforce and the slave trade and his turnabout? That should make for an interesting movie with a major conflict in conscience. I'll look out for it.
w.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home