Saturday, November 20, 2010

Me and Magritte and a cup of tea

from w
There are still seven in the household but oh it's so good to have two young women to take over the kitchen and to tidy up! They cooked a beautiful fish lunch for us all. Our eldest son has flown back to Fiji today to work, and a young relative from Sydney has arrived for a few days. The boys, our grandsons, went to church with me this morning and I played the music. It was a full church with the baptism of a baby from a very large family - our good friends and Peceli had baptised about seven of their kids over the years so figured in their family photo albums! This afternoon the boys swam in the heated pool at Splashdown and I had time to do some image-making based on four pictures I made during my Deakin Uni study days. These pictures were based on a postcard of 'La Grande Famille' by Rene Magritte, an artist I really admire. He was born on November 21st- so today is his birthday. A strange painter, a surrealist but not into fantasy in the way dreams and nightmares are. Magritte was born on November 21, 1898, in the town of Lessines, Belgium. He was a Surrealist who used out of place and out of proportion imagery to provoke thought, used titles that seem to have little to do with the subject matter. Someone wrote this about Magritte:
More often than not, Magritte chose ordinary things from which to construct his works - trees, chairs, tables, doors, windows, shoes, shelves, landscapes, people. He wanted to be understood via these ordinary things. Those who find him obscure should not forget that he had turned his back on the fantastic and on the immediate world of dreams. He did not seek to be obscure. On the contrary, he sought through a therapy of shock and surprise to liberate our conventional vision from its obscurity.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

So interesting, Wendy...I like the two blue-green ones that look like tile, especially the one with the addition of the picture of the family. Nice effect of that picture against the one with the yellow background, too.

annie

6:07 AM  
Blogger annie said...

P.S. Well, Wendy...Just as soon as I think that I know what I think, I find that I am flipping back and forth between the two blue-green ones, enjoying them both. Really like the picture of the family in one, but the wing shapes against the black are compelling in the other.
:)

annie

6:17 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Annie,
I enjoyed making these images because I never know what they will look like when I overlap one on top of another. The process is mostly unplanned and accidental except that I now know that using 'edge' in Photo edit is one way to make the picture look flatter and simpler. The meaning of the pictures? That's anybody's guess!
Next task will involve getting my grandsons to help with Advent and Christmas paintings on some interior glass windows at the church, perhaps only one each week until Christmas. I need to plan them on paper first and use only kid's paint which can be washed off.
W.

7:37 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Hi Wendy,
The Advent windows sound like a wonderful project-- especially for the grandsons. Do let us know how these work out. Can you photograph them for the blog--I mean, would you need a digital camera? I don't know from digital so all of your work amazes me.
annie

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home