Sunday, March 04, 2007

City walls and recycled buildings in Geelong


from w
I have been interested to paint an old wall at the back of the National Wool Museum, but someone else beat me to making a picture of it! I saw this photograph on flickr and there it was - exactly the spot with the textures and patterns left after another building had been pulled down. The wall has looked like this for many years and there's a huge hole in the block in front while people work out what to do with the space.



Geelong's waterfront has changed over the past fifteen years with the old wool stores recycled as part of Deakin University, new high rise apartments, a flash hotel - Sheraton I think, and so on - sometimes blocking the view of the sea for others.

I really like the Deakin campus though, recycling these old buildings by keeping their fine wood and spaces and even smells that remind me of the wool bales that used to be sold there. (My father owned shearing sheds and there is a sentimental reminder of my childhood when I go into these kind of spaces.)

Also the plan to put a bridge over Yarra Street is going ahead (despite our protests)- Westfield - big business of the capitalists seems to dominate these days. Meanwhile they will close the only large supermarket left in the city for six months while they renovate. Good - we will go elsewhere!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Hi Wendy -t hank you for visitng my blog. I have just been looking through both of your blogs. What a fascinating place. Cheers!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Andrea, this blog tends to be all-over-the-place and my drawings are rushed. I need to slow down and be less heavy-handed. I like your cute, careful paintings. There is an amazing variety of artwork on the blogs I visit.
w.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home