Friday, March 02, 2007

Self-portrait aged seven


from w
Though playing the piano has nearly always been a joy to me, there was the initial slog of learning scales. I was first introduced to the piano by my grandmother who lived with us at the time. I still remember though how awkward it was to perform in front of people, such as a Rotary 'do'. I was probably about nine and playing 'The Merry Peasant' in a concert. I panicked, started to cry, and had to be comforted then I valiantly sat on the stool and played the darn thing. I still do not like 'performing'. The pic is approximately what my mother's lounge room looked like when I was seven.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's sad, Wendy. But the memory portrait is lovely.

I remember a violin recital I had to give as a teenager (my only recital). I was so nervous I almost dropped the bow - but didnt. I finished but never wanted to do it again. Too much pressure!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Karen, parents are proud of their children but sometimes do inappropriate things to them, encouraging them to shine in a public place even when the kid is very shy. I've never liked performing alone, but with a crowd that's different. Then music-making can be magica.
I might do a 'Seven Up' series of pics about me and music some time.
w.

3:21 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

SOOO cute! I love this drawing. Lots of humour and character.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Andrea,
I guess we use humour sometimes to acknowledge an event that might otherwise have been painful. We gloss over childhood memories with pink-tinged spectacles and rarely see things honestly. Our parents gave us a good childhood, lots of freedom to climb trees, swim in the channel, read lots of books, but when we really reflect upon the time, there are niggles of discomfort as well. One is the realization that my mother worked far too hard for other people and also I grew up without knowing much about cooking etc.
w.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

You do look a little grim but determined in this one - the animals look impressed.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home