Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Reading The White Masai and Reunion in Barsaloi


from w
A friend gave me two books to read at once - The White Masai and Reunion in Barsaloi by Corinne Hofmann so I've started both, though I really ought to finish one first. I'd heard of the books and the film but haven't taken much notice before. What a shocker! Is the girl stupid or what? Some readers admire her tremendous courage, but really, is she so obsessed with this fantastical man that she drops her own culture like a hot scone?

Of course when I read the blurb on the back of the second book, I then knew the ending of the first!
So far it is fascinating reading. The writer details her daily life without fuss and the culture shocks in store for her are part of the journey for the reader.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Wendy, you crack me up. I know it's not the same thing at all, but people who don't know Fiji and Fijians might well ask you the same thing!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Julie,
Hmmm - yeah, I suppose people say the same thing about vavalagi women who go off on an adventure with a gorgeous Islander!

An American woman from Hawaii married a young guy from a small island in Bua - she was a bit old and I think the father-in-law saw the opportunity for money comin' in. When 'Europeans' visited the area, she wouldn't front up and meet them at all. She wrote a book later. Is she still there I wonder!

I've finished the White Masai book and nearly finished the second book which is predictable but nice to read, especially about visiting the film set.
w.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home