Friday, November 16, 2012

The reading room

from w
One of my favourite places in Melbourne (and I suppose any library for that matter)  is the domed Reading Room of the State Library of Victoria.  There's some celebration going on at present, maybe a centenary, and there are exhibitions and special programs, but with  crook knee I can't just run to catch a train and go up to the city.

 In the late 50s I spent many hours at the SLV researching art, and occasionally quietly photocopying music - which is probably illegal these days - and in later years discovering gems in the Latrobe local history research room when I was looking up information about the Loch Ard shipwreck story, finding photographs, or finding archival books about Fiji. Once upon a time cards were used to find books, but now it is all digitized and so much easier.

Here is a collage of photos about the SLV from pictures I found on the web.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home