Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Gales of laughter and a real gale


from w
This morning the sky was a peuce colour, like I'd seen it the day of a bushfire - yellowy brown and the wind was coming up as I went up to the church hall for a morning coffee with a group of about fifty women. Our guest speaker, Enid Baker, had us in gales of laughter with her stories and extended jokes, some oldies nearly falling of their seats. Laughter is a great medicine. Coffee and cakes were excellent too as the wind bashed against the windows and walls outside.

After some computer stuff I had to do in the church office, I caught a bus and it was gale-force by then and as I waited for a bus I did a kind of Marilyn Monroe pose. At the ATM my money almost flew into the traffic but I grabbed it in time and paid the car insurance. The trees and the traffic light signs were really shaking.

On the bus home I noticed trees down and some fences in tatters, and when acouple of us got off the bus, sand and grit whipped us in the face. Then, what a shamozzle I found our back yard to be. The dead branches from the date palm were scattered about, the pots and pot plants all over the yard, a small tree was down on the ground, two unattached doors were wrecked with glass shattered. And yesterday Peceli had been so proud of a neat, tidied up compound! They say the winds were up to 150 k an hour at times so it was almost like a hurricane.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Lovely post - sorry about your yard - we had grit here too, blown from Wagga. Morning pages are 3 pages Julia Cameron suggests one write FIRST thing every morning - stream of consciousness, or whatever you like - boosts creativity and motivation she says. I do quite like it but when it's hot I prefer to jump out of bed and get on my bike or do some gardening - maybe any sort of 'musing time' has the same effect.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Julia Cameron wrote 'The Artist's Way', a creativity book

3:58 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I get it now. Even three years ago I could write fairly well early in the morning but these days my English language in writing is really becoming hopelessly inaccurate and simple. The synapses (sp?) are not connecting like they used to. I've joined another writing group after our novel group disbanded so I hope that might help a bit.
w.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Judybec said...

Wow! sounds like quite a day. I love your drawing of it-- got lots of life in it.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home