Sunday, September 10, 2006

Three kinds of Australian magpies



One, I like. That's the kind in the front garden that carols at 5 p.m. in the morning - a lovely sound.


Two, not likeable at all. This one swoops on people in springtime. Peceli played golf on Saturday (the first time in over six weeks) and some maggies at the golf course were swooping on him. He needs a hat with huge sunglasses painted on them.


Three, the Collingwood Football club - are known as the magpies - you either love or hate 'em. They got done for a dinner this weekend by the Bulldogs. One memorable incident for the Magpies was when an Aboriginal player, who was being harassed by the crowd, pulled up his shirt and pointed to his brown skin, proudly. A great gesture.


W.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I fondly remember the magpies that serenaded me when I woke up every morning in Caloundra. It was a wonderful sound. Since I had never heard a magpie before, at first I thought someone was whistling loudly and melodically in the motel courtyard! I was surprised to pull back the curtain and see very strange black-and-white birds.

I do know about the swooping. I've never seen it first hand, but our sister school often has to deal with magpies dive-bombing students in the spring. Scary thought...

Here in Japan we only have to deal with those obnoxious crows!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Peceli was mowing the lawn today - after another day of golf - and a fat magpie followed him around, picking at the grass, looking for insects and worms. Must be a bloke maggie!
Crows and raven - type of birds I find scary. Magpies are usually okay except in the nesting season.
W.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home