Saturday, September 02, 2006

Gerard Hoffnung, my hero







This is a continuation of my theme of music. In the late 50s I was teaching classes of forty teenagers about music and they weren't too keen on serious stuff, so I used Hoffnung cartoons and recordings. Perhaps I spoilt their love of classical music forever or at least gave them a twisted view. I recall one piece of music was about playing a vaccuum cleaner. I found a few pics of his cartoons (and pics by others)and also a blog which gives his bio.


W.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

As a musician and music teacher, I can appreciate those comics, too! :-)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I had half a dozen of the little books full of drawings at one time, but they are long gone. But google does wonderful things at times, and I found a few of the drawings again.
W.

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned about Hoffnungs concerts whwn I was working in Denmark around 1967 and became a fan emmedeatly. Now I am back in Switzerland and still extremely interested in Humorists and clowns.
George

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Wil Davis said...

I grew up in the UK before moving to the NE USA, and have many fond memories of hearing Hoffnung on the good old Beeb. I have a couple of the CDS but few folk on this side of The Pond have ever heard of Maestro Hoffnung. The sledge-hammer humour of Peter Schickele is about the only type of music humour folk over here seem to understand! - Wil

11:04 AM  
Anonymous L. Rosedale said...

I first heard Hoffnung in New York over the BBC. I tuned in hallf way through the program and therefor, missed his name. On my next trip to London I went to a second hand record shop and described what I had heard. The clerk immediately recognized Hoffnung and I bought the record. I had been in touch with Annette shortly after.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home