Friday, September 08, 2006

The colours and aromas of Footscray Market


from Wendy

Shopping in Footscray Market

Yesterday we drove to Melbourne in driving rain and decided to park the car near Footscray station and market because the car park there is only $3 a day. It’s one of the best places for buying fruit, vegetables, fish and meat. I find the fascinating array of food there more interesting than going shopping for shoes or jewellery! Tropical fruits and vegetables were all shapes and sizes and aromas, but, bananas were still $12 a kilo!

We had Combination Chinese soup for our lunch - $5 each, then took the train into the city for an appointment at Southbank with Radio Australia (which I will post about on babasiga) then we caught another train back to Footscray.

The western suburbs are not the elite of Melbourne but there is a lot of life there. Footscray is absolutely multicultural, with Barclay Street full of Vietnamese shops. Many Sudanese people also go there for shopping and we talked with a Sudanese - Dinka family on the train.

While Peceli bought some fish and pork, I sketched a few people eating, including two Samoans. I didn’t have time to draw two little Chinese boys eating buckets of chips.

3 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Love the footscray markets, used to go there when we came over for our Welsh Show at the Showgrounds. the show has now been moved to near Shepparton and I rarely get up there. too far to go and inconvenient for south Aussies.
Great sketch.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Wendy I tried to email you but it didnt work, you asked about my textile stuff, I dont really do quilts but if you go to my Backvalley seasons blog in my links section and scroll through I do occasionally put textile stuff up. I really call myself a cloth doll maker but have gone quite seriously into other and alternative textile areas.Penny

3:04 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Thanks Penny for the comments and also I will try and find that Backvalley seasons blog.
Wendy

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home