Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Favourite Things (about Geelong)

from w
I wrote this for some writing competition for seniors.
My Favourite Things (with apologies to Julie Andrews)

Coffee and mudcake and freebies at Maccas,
Playgrounds at Rippleside for our little tackers,
Bundles of old books just tied up in string,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Movies and TV and libraries and classes,
Cafes and wine-bars and clinking of glasses,
Deakin and Gordon, Computers for Mugs -
I am now learning of viruses and bugs.
When the trucks roar,
When the sea smells,
When the city goes mad,
I simple remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so sad.
Gardens and gingko and cool winding footpaths
Aromatherapy and also spa baths,
Swimming at Torquay but not now at Bells,
Driving the Commodore, no longer on Ls.
Going to Pako and eating souvlaki,
Marinaded chops are now cooked by an Iraqi,
A barbeque sizzle outside Laura's house,
A white statue in Malop Street quiet as a mouse.          
          When the rice burns,
When the milk turns,
When the eyes grow damp,
Then I remember we live in Geelong
and then I can sing this song!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home