Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Has Oprah lost the plot?



from w
On Channel Seven Today Tonight I was interested to see Dr David Millikan speaking intelligently about Oprah's shifting sands as she engages and entertains New Age ideas, particularly the latest crazy book she is promoting. David is from Geelong. and he is a Uniting Church Theologian working in Sydney. He has spent several years investigating cults. Regarding the book Oprah was enthusiastically promoting, David said it's like a cult.

In an ABC interview a while back David said, "I think people are at their best and at their worst in religion - sometimes... at the very same moment. For that reason I say you cannot praise religion enough for the way it has ennobled the human soul, but then I also say you cannot criticise religion enough for the damage it has done because it's my view that when faith goes bad, when religion goes bad, it causes more pain than anything else."

This time Oprah has not only recommended a book but she has gone into business with the writer of gobbledygook mixed with platitudes and a few half-truths, as some New Age writing is. For one view read one view of the situation.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you have found inspiration in these books. In my experience most motivational books give a lot of common sense ideas dressed up to be unique and of course there is much that is valuable there. I find the New Testament gospels my main inspiration in learning how to live - as I seek the essence in them and update to the contemporary situations I face.
w.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home