Monday, December 18, 2006

Starfish and bling Christmas trees




from W.
A couple of things in Geelong I noticed were the starfish decorations instead of stars, and the numerous $2 shops chockas with junk bling items. But oh how we compromise. I ran into a friend in Moorabool Street as I lugged two bags of junk I had bought and we talked about 'ethical' Christmas shopping and how we don't really support locally made items but buy stuff made in China where workers get - maybe - 39 cents an hour. Hmm. I looked down at my shopping bags and realized I had bought twenty $2-3 items that were just bling and not useful at all.

But the motive was okay, I rationalized - little gifts for friends at a Christmas breakup party at Peppeino's Cafe Friday night. And, okay, they all seemed pleased to receive them. I kept one item for myself - a little Christmas tree candle-holder. $2.60!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Oh, well. Sometimes bling can be fun!

If you really want to support underpaid, exploited, third world laborers, try ordering a pair of personalized Nike Air shoes and write your name as "sweatshop made".

Nike does NOT like that...

(Even though Nike is from my home state, well...)

10:29 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yeah, I've heard about Nike.
Actually some of the wetsuits sold here for $80 or so are made in Fiji and I wonder what the girls who make them in Fiji are paid. I think about $1.80 an hour. And factories are actually moving to Asia because Fiji's labour costs too much!
Sobosobo!
W.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home