Monday, November 13, 2006

The Great Ocean Road - built as a memorial


from Wendy
We are fortunate to live where the Great Ocean Road starts - and goes all the way to Warrnambool. Fabulous scenery, a winding road, forests meet the shoreline. It was actually built by returning Diggers from World War 1 - 3000 of them, cutting out the rock with pick and shovel. last Saturday was Remembrance Day, November 11th.

Jenny Brown wrote a fine article entitled 'The Greatest Ocean Road' for the November Royalauto magazine. I've 'borrowed' two of her photos and I hope I got them up the right way! The Great Ocean Road was opened in 1932 and the most famous part of the road is the Twelve Apostles - which is now down to about eight at last count. More info here.



The little town of Anglesea is part of the Ocean Road and I'm posting two sketches in the Anglesea area and also a photo I took after a bushfire in the vicinity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Hi Wendy,Thanks for your comments, I dont know if I can comment or not as I have changed to beta, we will see. John is the poet not I. Found your blog entries interesting and informative as usual.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I would like to do a series of pictures along the Great Ocean Road sometime. We have explored many of the places on the route. Have you been to Port Campbell? It is my favourite spot and the cliffs and rocks are amazing. We were there when Pepsi guys made a video so the coastline was lit up with spotlights that one night.
W.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home