Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Visit to Narana Creations, an Aboriginal Centre




Yesterday our church women's group visited Narana, an Aboriginal spiritual and educational centre in Geelong. After afternoon tea in the cafe, the other women shopped in the art and craft centre and I wandered around and drew emus, the outdoor meeting circle,and a rock garden then I bought two postcards of Aboriginal art.

I met Peceli's friend Vince Ross there. Now that he is head of the Uniting Aboriginal and Islander Christian Congress, he joked, 'Wendy, now it's a long, long way to fall!' I remember what a quiet, shy, respectful man he was in 87, (the day of the Rabuka coup) when a hostel was opened, a gift from the Uniting Church to the Aborignal community in Geelong for tertiary students. Vince is a really lovely guy.
W.
Acknowledgments: 'Frillneck' is by Loretta McDonald and 'Reaching for Above' is by J. Leon, both from the culture of the Worini people of coastal New South Wales.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I've always thought Aboriginal art to be fascinating. It's not just a random collection of dots, either. Everything has a specific meaning. Fascinating art to go with a fascinating culture.

I'll post about my just-finished Australian adventure on my blog soon (when I have time; tomorrow I'm off to music camp!). The Aboriginal influence pops up significantly in a couple of places. More on that later!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

These emus look like they're having a reaally good conversation

2:50 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Moody,
The large Aboriginal paintings we sometimes see in galleries are often extraordinary. Yes, the dots and shapes have meanings about place or story.
Alison,
Certainly! That's what I thought. What are they saying? I really wanted to put a thought cloud or text above their heads and mention something about Incontinence Week (If you scratch your calf, that puts off the urge for a couple of minutes!) or even Oz politics but I decided not to!
W.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home