Tuesday, February 09, 2010

With a little help from your friends

from w
We all get by with a little or a lot of help from our friends and Peceli and I have been given many gifts and kindnesses lately, including advice about cars. Two friends are moving to Queensland so decided to half their household goods so a lot came our way for our use or to take over to the Donation in Kind depot - books, clothes, kitchenware and so on. A small yaqona bowl came unexpectedly our way also. Another friend brought me two pairs of sandals so I sketched one pair this afternoon when it was so hot and humid and thunder was about. Another friend gave me two very nice dresses, so I tossed out some old ones. Of course the best gifts are not physical, but a kind word, perhaps someone saying, 'Thank you for the music' after I played for a funeral, or someone taking time to talk instead of rushing off on some errand. We do tend to hurry with people, not being sensitive to their situation. A minister from Fiji who stayed with us a couple of months ago talks about 'kana' ministry, 'kana' meaning food. He means intentional caring and conversation over tea or coffee or a meal. It's a caution to slow us down to make each day and our relationships with people more meaningful.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

That hits me right where I live, Wendy. We do tend to move about at a terribly fast pace, sometimes forgetting to thank the people who have smoothed out rocky paths for us and just for Being There for us in general. There as an abundance of love and caring surrounding all of us in this life.
annie

3:09 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Annie,
I've been really slowing down lately because of a lower back ache when I lean over quickly or jump up suddenly from a low chair. Maybe it's a slipped disc, so I'm doing some stretching exercises. Picking up from the floor isn't a breeze any more either.
Wendy

8:16 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Well, we are a couple of old crickitys, Wendy! I am recovering from 2 virus bugs-- back to back-- and am creeping about with a stiff neck. They tell me it's my age making it such a slow come back. Up until now I did not have any age, as far as I was concerned.

I feel for your back. It can really make so many things difficult-- besides the pain--so I
hope your exercises help. I hope you have a good back doctor.

Life is full of too many surprises!

annie

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home