Sunday, August 19, 2007

from the 21st century garden






from w
This morning was sunny so I went to the Geelong Botanical Garden and looked mainly at the different kinds of South African and Mexican plants and noticed that so many are similar but with distinctive differences. Oh well, the theory of evolution is okay with me.

Instead of taking a 20 minute walk back home I decided to walk 10 minutes in the opposite direction to take a bus at Pevensy Gardens. Well, the bus driver didn't see me at all and swished past. Do I look like a gnarled old peppercorn tree? I guess my black clothes were not distinctive enough. And then the half hour walk was probably a good idea anyway.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

Yes, it's amazing how species separated by so many miles can be so similar yet distinct.

The Wollemi pine found in Blue Mountains is a very good example.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

If I was more patient I could have drawn a dozen similar plants. It's perhaps a task for a botanical artist to really examine plants and creatures to show the subtle changes in different environments - goannas of course, turtles too. The patterns in nature are truly amazing. I won't get into 'evolution theory' versus belief in a creator. Can't you have both?
w.

8:38 PM  
Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I won't get into 'evolution theory' versus belief in a creator. Can't you have both?

Of course!
But it's no fun if people don't take sides. ;-) Some people would lose their whole reason for living!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I DO like a good argument but there's a time and place. I know not to get entangled with talk on Oz politics with particular friends. Arguing about religion doesn't get very far as most people are either indifferent or very passionate and hey, it is better to keep friends than (sometimes) win arguments.
w.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home