Friday, June 30, 2006

Aussie Rules footie and Go Cats







from Wendy
There's only one proper way to play football, though some people call it aerial pingpong, and there's only one Aussie Rules footie team, the Cats! Or so say most of my local friends, though one barracks for the Dogs - Western Bulldogs.

It's a game that started in the suburbs of Melbourne but now has gone national. And now it's big business. Peceli though used to play rugby and there's a fair bit of rugby watching going on in this household. Soccer? Only two weeks in years.

My kids all played Aussie rules footie - in the Minnies in Hopetoun, a small country town, then in Geelong. I'm really more interested in giving local lads a chance to play than the great spectator stadiums where thousands of people watch. Unfortunately the money goes to the spectacular clubs rather than the local kids.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Moody Minstrel said...

I wasn't aware of any of that until my school here in Japan got a sister school in the Sunny Coast region last year (mainly my project!). I visited Australia for the first time ever last year (had a WONDERFUL albeit hectic five days) and learned about what Queenslanders call "football" ("Rugby League" elsewhere) and "rugby" ("Rugby Union" elsewhere). Someone explained the difference, but I didn't get it. I also learned about Aussie Rules Footie for the first time last year...and still don't get it.

Face it: I'm a narking, fair dinkum septic!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

When I told Peceli I'd posted something about Aussie Rules footie, he said, 'That's a game for girls! Rugby is the only game and nothing, NOTHING, can beat the speed of Rugby Sevens!'
Of course he is showing is Fiji pride in the Fiji team which is pretty much unbeatable.
W.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home