Thursday, January 07, 2016

A poem about grief

I'm trying to write a poem about how I feel but I can't say it directly so used the metaphor of a bushfire down the Great Ocean Road. First draft and I'll do some more work on it. The painting is of Urquart's Bluff after a bushfire many years ago.


A tree clings to the cliff face

after searing fire rushed towards the sea

until there is no colour

only line after line of blackened trees

and grey ash for ground.

I trudge on the deep sand

footprints making hollows,

going nowhere, circling.

The wild sea is there, wave after wave

and surfers dare them as they do.

I cannot touch cool water yet

only walk on and on in the deep sand,

one step after another

waiting for  a renewed spirit


after the shock of fire.

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

That is beautiful.I don't know how I would cope if anything happened to John, but somehow cope we must.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Penny,
I knew that Peceli's days were numbered as he slowed down so much recently but there was still a shock that Sunday morning. People are crying when they visit us, but I am still numb. There will be a real rearrangment of how I am living as we have spent so much time together - our drives, our picnics, our story-telling. Our household of about ten means that I'm not alone so that is a bonus.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home