Sunday, October 16, 2011

Art Nouveau








from w
Perhaps I really belong in a past century as the kind of art I really like is Art Nouveau - from about 1890 to 1910 - the flat shapes, the romanticism, the shifts from nature to people, the curved lines, Klimp, Beardsley, book-plates of that time, stained glass. They seemed to be influenced by Japanese art as well as a kind of looking back to Camelot. Mostly they drew women, not men. Last week I picked up a book on Art Nouveau that was being recycled and perhaps I'll give it back again but not to the dumpster. Even the architect Gaudi is classified as 'art nouveau'.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

No not to the dumpster, this looks like a wonderful book, I too love Art Nouveau. Saw the Viennese exhibition in Melbourne when we were there, some lovely and some not so lovely stuff. Loved the Klimps.
Beardsley is also a favorite.

9:32 PM  
Blogger annie said...

Fantastic, Wendy. I love the way they do swirly hair...And lamps, too.
annie

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home