Sunday, November 02, 2008

Pastel, paint and pencil




from w
I printed out two of the pictures in black and white, then played about with pencil, white oil pastel and paint. A bit messy but it passed the time instead of watching
TV. Sometimes I wonder what a painting or drawing is really for. Is it just playing with shapes and colours or trying to communicate something? When it succeeds in showing 'Hey, it's a beautiful, amazing world' maybe it works. Of course often paintings confront us, stretch us to reimagine something, show us something of the human condition, but lately I've just been making marks on paper, that's all.
(Later - I painted a cropped picture of the vase of flowers - forgetting that they were really white and pink - anyway painter's license to change anything! Then I altered the colour ofone using Picasa.)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the purpose is just to play and have fun! Or maybe to brighten the world a bit? I enjoyed seeing these and your writing reminded me of how much fun it is to just play that way and see what happens. I think that's creativity at its best.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Jana,
Someone on the radio - talking about writing - said the aim is to provide an emotional experience. Perhaps that's also something a painting can do. When I saw the exhibition of a painting competition at the Geelong Gallery recently I decided that more than half of the paintings did not connect with me at all.
w.

1:01 AM  
Blogger annie said...

Oh, what fun those three sketches are. I love seeing the variations and I do think that your fun trying these comes across to us and makes them
even more delightful.
annie

9:21 AM  
Blogger annie said...

PS and all those below these three. I am running them back and forth, enjoying them.
annielastess

9:25 AM  
Blogger annie said...

P.S. I just discovered the post before this And what fun you had playing with similar forms on WHAT WOULD MATISSE DO IF HE HAD A COMPUTER.
It would be interesting to see this exploring all together on one page.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Annie,
Thanks for visiting this blog. Sometimes I feel like drawing, other times no. But I always like to see what's around the corner, what are the possiblities, and curiosity drives me to see what Photo-edit or Picasa will do to just one pic.
w.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home